Get ready to curl up in a blanket and snuggle with your special someone as you indulge in this fall treat! Apple and Pear Crisp makes for a lovely Saturday afternoon of reading on the couch or a romantic candlelit evening in our outdoor living room. And a scoop of ice cream or dollup of whipped cream (or both!) for an extra tasty desert that will have you jumping in the leaves for joy!
What you need to know before you bake…
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 55 min
Serves: 8 servings
- 2 pounds ripe Bosc pears (4 pears)
- 2 pounds firm Macoun apples (6 apples)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the topping:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, diced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel, core, and cut the pears and apples into large chunks. Place the fruit in a large bowl and add the zests, juices, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour into a 9 by 12 by 2-inch oval baking dish.
For the topping:
- Combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed for 1 minute, until the mixture is in large crumbles. Sprinkle evenly over the fruit, covering the fruit completely.
- Place the baking dish on a sheet pan and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until the top is brown and the fruit is bubbly. Serve warm.
Recipe from the Food Network courtesy of Ina Garten.