Brussels Sprouts are one of the most disregarded vegetables in the world. It was only a few years ago that this “mini-me” version of cabbage started gaining popularity over the internet. As recipes began popping around, we cannot forget that is one of those foods that exists since the XVIII century. *
* Source – On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of The Kitchen by Harold McGee
Brussel Sprouts only have 43 calories per every 4 ounces. Like their cousins (cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage), they are extremely low in fat. In addition to being low in fat, Brussel Sprouts, are also rich in fiber, and a serving contains enough vitamins A, C, and K to meet the daily requirements for an adult, as well as a quarter of the vitamin E and folic acid needed in every diet. It also contains non-negligible amounts of vitamin B and minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, potassium, and manganese.
For starters, I leave a straightforward suggestion that is not a recipe, since anyone can prepare this dish to your liking. Eating roasted Brussel sprouts from the grill opens the door to a new universe of flavor and texture, and the presentation on skewers is perfect for any festive occasion. You will never forget the “mini-me” of the cabbage family.
BRUSSEL SPROUTS AND BACON SKEWERS
Serves: 6 to 8 people
- 2 LB. Brussel Sprouts
- Strips of thick-cut bacon
- 4 tablespoons of melted butter
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Wash the cabbages and remove the most damaged or loose outer leaves.
- Boil the Brussel sprouts for one or two minutes, drain quickly over cold water (or you can microwave them with water until tender).
- While boiling the Brussel sprouts, take the butter and melt it. Add the chopped garlic, salt, pepper and mix together well.
- Add the Brussel sprouts on the skewers.
- With a cooking brush, apply the melted butter mixture to the vegetable.
- Lastly, take the bacon. Insert one end on the skewer and wrap it around the Brussel sprouts.
- Place the skewer on the grill on medium-high until the bacon is roasted.
Let us know your experience. Leave your comments below or visit our Facebook page.
Platinum Pools is proud to announce that on June 6, 2018, our blog was selected as one of the top 40 swimming pool blogs on the internet. We are currently ranked as the #6 pool blog. We would like to thank all of our loyal readers for helping us obtain this great achievement.