Are you wondering if remodeling your existing pool or adding a pool to your home will increase its near and intermediate resale value? The truth is that it depends on the potential buyer.
For example, high-end buyers and families with teenagers may have a backyard pool on their must-have list for a new home.
Types of Homebuyers Who Want Swimming Pools
Some homebuyers do put a backyard swimming pool at the top of their must-have list, and if your home is located in an upper middle class or high-end neighborhood, not having a swimming pool or having a pool that is in extreme disrepair may actually put off buyers and result in below-market bids. Potential buyers who may actively be seeking a property with a pool may include:
- High-end luxury home buyers
- Homeowners with teenagers or older children
- Homeowners in their 40s to 70s who want the pool for low-impact exercise purposes
- Homeowners who are dedicated to healthy living and may also have a home gym on their must-have list
Types of Buyers Who Do Not Want Swimming Pools
For some buyers, it won’t matter the condition of your existing pool or its layout. These buyers typically don’t want a pool in their backyard due to safety concerns and the need for timely and expensive maintenance. This category may include:
- Homebuyers looking for a starter or mid-grade home
- Homebuyers with very young children
- Homebuyers with limited budgets who can’t afford the maintenance of a swimming pool
- Extremely busy families who do not have time to maintain a swimming pool and/or won’t be home enough to enjoy it
Understanding the Type of Neighborhood Where a Pool Would Be in High Demand
To determine whether you should perform general maintenance, like repairing plaster and leaks and upgrading certain equipment, like the pool heater and pool filter, or perform a large remodel of your existing swimming pool, it’s important to understand the average home price.
Here in Houston, according to the Houston Business Journal, the average price of a home in the metroplex is $302,362. By contrast, luxury homes and mansions in the area often sell for between 1.5 and 4 million dollars.
This means that if your home’s resale value is close to $300,000, you may simply want to consider repairing problems and replacing basic equipment to ensure your pool is in good shape.
If you have a home with a current market value that is considerably higher than the average, it may be in your best interest to perform extensive updates and upgrades to your existing pool to ensure it’s a luxurious and eye-catching backyard feature.
If you are unsure if you should remodel, you can look at the homes that are for sale in your neighborhood to determine if the majority of them have swimming pools and their condition. If the majority have pools, then you’ll want to make sure your swimming pool is at least comparable to the pools that you viewed in the listings.
Reasons to Upgrade or Remodel Your Existing Swimming Pool
The number one reason to remodel an existing pool is to increase its usefulness and visual appeal for your own family as well as enhance your outdoor spaces so that you spend more time in the fresh air. Common signs that your pool needs updating include:
- Your pool is visibly damaged with cracking plaster and leaks
- Your pool is extremely outdated or installed more than 20 years ago
- You want to lower the maintenance and utility costs of your existing pool by installing energy-efficient and automatic features, like automatic pool filters and skimmers, and devices that automatically release pool chemicals
- You want to add safety features, like an automatic pool cover and underwater motion detecting alarms
- You want to add custom features, like a spa, fountains, tanning deck and fire features
Remodeling Your Houston Pool with Help From Platinum Pools
Here at Platinum Pools, our pool remodeling team can help you decide the best way to remodel your existing pool so that it meets your needs. We will go over all your pool wants, needs and desires to help develop a pool remodel plan that increases the usefulness, functionality, value and safety of your existing pool while staying within your remodel budget.
To get started with a pool remodel, give us a call today. We can help you turn your current pool into the pool of your dreams.