It may be starting to get cooler, but luckily for Texas, it’s one of the best times of year for outdoor activities! Whether for your family or a casual office gathering, we’ve got some great ideas for a holiday party around the pool.
Set the mood
When it’s cold out in Texas, we enjoy a good outdoor fire. If you’re lucky enough to have an outdoor fireplace, October is the perfect time of year to throw on a few logs. No fireplace? No problem! Home improvement stores sell inexpensive chimeneasand fire pits that will bring your family and friends together to share stories and warmth.
While a fire is a great way to set the scene, there is a risk of injury. Here are a few safety tips:
- Make sure you have a working fire extinguisher
- Clean and inspect your fireplace annually
- Be sure that your fire can vent properly
- Never leave the fire unattended (especially with children)
- Burn only natural wood
- Douse any remaining coals with water
- Once burned down completely, make sure that the area is free of any embers and your fireplace or fire pit has cooled down completely
Elegant and easy food options: Tapas
Variety is definitely the spice of life, and will delight guests of all tastes and preferences by giving them an array of choices. Here are a few ideas:
- Potato and mozzarella croquettes
- Bacon-wrapped dates with goat cheese
- Sliders (For something different, use turkey or lamb for your mini burgers)
- Pot stickers – you can buy meat or vegetarian (toothpicks will come in handy)
- Olive, charcuterie and cheese plate
- Chorizo sausage roll
Just because you’re hosting doesn’t mean your guests can’t help out and make it enjoyable too! Especially when there’s a contest involved.
A favorite of children and adults alike, you’re sure to have enthusiastic involvement! Ask your guests to get creative bring their ingredients for the Best S’mores Contest. Let them know there will be different awards and prizes for:
- Best presentation
- Most unique ingredients
- Best tasting
- Most burned
Got more ideas for throwing the perfect pool party? Share your tips in comments section below.