A swimming pool is an investment that will increase the value of your home. It also provides years of bringing the family together and creates memories that will last a lifetime.
In our past blogs, we emphasized that an oasis needs upgrading, just like a house. There may be some items you may want to add, such as a waterfall or a tanning shelf. However, keep in mind that it is extremely important to remember that resurfacing your swimming pool when your plaster has deteriorated is a pool renovation item that requires immediate attention.
Why is it important to resurface a swimming pool? If you want a swimming pool to last for a long time, then resurfacing will help.
There are two main reasons to resurface your swimming pool:
- The Look and Feel of the Oasis – Be aware that minerals such as copper and iron can stain the plaster. The variations in temperature can also affect the appearance of your pool’s plaster.
- Structural Reasons – The pool’s plaster acts as a waterproof layer between the water and the shell of your swimming pool. Keep in mind that older pools were made with poured concrete walls or cinder block, which means that they are porous materials. Although the resurface is a waterproofing layer, it protects the reinforced beams, avoiding rusting. The resurface also serves to fill tile lines, and around the skimmer area.
When Should I Resurface My Swimming Pool?
Keep a constant observation of your pool. Before you go ahead and resurface, check for these signs:
- Mineral Stains – there are some minerals in the water like iron and copper that may stain the plaster. When this occurs, replace the plaster immediately. Usually, the stains appear years after the initial resurface application.
- Gunite Exposure – there are many swimming pools built with gunite or shotcrete to support the basin of the swimming pool. If you see an exposure, then it is time to resurface.
- Plaster Flaking or Falling Off- If you plaster has started to flake or fall of your pool’s surface it may be time to resurface your pool.
How to Resurface the Pool?
First, don’t do it yourself! Contact an expert in your area to do the job. Resurfacing a pool is not only a technique and science, but it is also an art. If the resurfacing is not done correctly, many things can go wrong such as bond failure, shading, etching, etc. Platinum Pools has the experts that can do the job from start to finish. It doesn’t take long to do, and it is advisable to resurface when the weather is cool. It will help dry faster before filling the pool with water.
Are you ready to revamp your backyard oasis? Our team of experts is prepared to guide you through the swimming pool remodeling process. Call us at 281.870.1600 (Houston), 409.898.4995 (Beaumont), or 361.576.0183 (Victoria).